Rowland Cemetery also known as Smith’s Grove is an abandoned cemetery located on Highway 72 and Pottery Road. Within this cemetery lie the bodies of several Civil War heroes such as R. W. Smith and William T. Rowland. R.W., short for Robert William, was a wealthy man from Virginia and owned 67 slaves during the 1860s. This cemetery was in conjunction with the 1000 acres he owned. Robert’s son, John Waverly, was part of the Co. E 13th Tenn. Infantry in the previous year, but suffered a wound to his right shoulder. He later joined Forrest’s Cavalry of the 18th Mississippi Calvary becoming Lt. Col. Alongside his brothers, Richard Edward and Marion Skipwith, they all served as loyal subjects to the 18th Mississippi Calvary. Robert later joined, but was killed in battle at Yellow Rabbit Creek slightly south of Ashland and what is now the border of Benton and Tippah.