First Baptist MB Church of Port Gibson

Founded in 1867 by freedmen, First Baptist MB Church moved to this site in 1896. This church played a vital role in the Civil Rights Movement in Port Gibson. Beginning in 1965, the NAACP held meetings here to promote boycotts of local white merchants, who subsequently filed suit. In a landmark ruling in 1982, the U S Supreme Court upheld the legality of the boycotts.

Sources:

http://supreme.justia.com/us/458/886/