Today, Jackson State University encompasses the former Campbell College, founded in 1890 in Vicksburg, MS. The college moved to Jackson in 1898 and was supported by the African Methodist Episcopal Church until the time of its last graduating class in 1964.
Since Campbell College was a church-supported school, many of its administrators and students openly participated in movement activities. At an April 8, 1960, press conference at Campbell College, Medgar Evers announced the Easter boycott of downtown merchants. The dean of religion at Campbell, Charles A. Jones, assumed leadership of the boycott. Members of the Campbell College NAACP Youth Council were the leaders of the 1961 picketing of the “colored”Mississippi State Fair.
“Civil Rights Driving Tour of Hinds County”produced by the Associated Press, Tougaloo College, the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, and the Mississippi Development Authority (Tourism Division).