In 1954, the NAACP’s new Mississippi field secretary, Medgar Wiley Evers, opened his first office in this building, with his wife, Myrtle, serving as his secretary. The NAACP Legal Defense Fund was also located here. Within a year, Evers moved his office to the Masonic Temple on Lynch Street.
In the mid-sixties, Dr. Alvin Poussaint opened a medical clinic in this space that provided health services to activists.
Activists for the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party also operated in this location, along with representatives of the Council of Federated Organizations (COFO) Legal Office, the National Lawyers’ Guild, Friends of Children of Mississippi Head Start, and the Medical Committee for Human Rights. Local physicians Dr. James Anderson and Dr. Robert Smith were among those who assisted the committee in its work, taking care of the medical needs of many of the civil rights workers.
“Civil Rights Driving Tour of Hinds County”produced by the Associated Press, Tougaloo College, the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, and the Mississippi Development Authority (Tourism Division).