Constructed in 1923, the now vacant King Edward Hotel served for many years as a hub of white political and social activity for the City of Jackson. The hotel was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 and listed as a local landmark in 1991. In the fall of 1964, the Mississippi Council on Human Relations, an integrated organization formed by the Southern Regional Council to promote racial understanding met in the King Edward Hotel. By permitting this meeting, the hotel quietly began compliance with the Civil Rights Act passed earlier that summer to desegregate all public accommodations. The hotel closed in 1967.
“Civil Rights Driving Tour of Hinds County”produced by the Associated Press, Tougaloo College, the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, and the Mississippi Development Authority (Tourism Division).