Medgar Evers and his wife, Myrlie, bought this home with a GI mortgage in 1957 on what was then Guynes Street. The home was in a new subdivision developed by and for African Americans, just off Missouri Street, which separated black and white neighborhoods at the time. As Evers’ civil rights activities increased in the early 1960s, threats to his life and safety and that of his family also increased. In May of 1963, a Molotov cocktail was thrown at his home and was put out by Mrs. Evers with a garden hose.
On June 12, 1963, around 12:20 a.m., Evers arrived home from New Jerusalem Baptist Church, where he had attended a meeting. As he got out of his car carrying an armload of “Jim Crow Must Go”T-shirts, Evers was killed by a rifle bullet fired from bushes across the street. Evers died from loss of blood and internal injuries. His personal physician, Dr. A.B. Britton, could only watch the attending doctors, because African Americans were not permitted to practice medicine in the segregated emergency room at the University of Mississippi Medical Center.
The Evers home was donated to Tougaloo College, which mow operates the house as a museum. The neighborhood was designated a Jackson Historic District in 1994.
“Civil Rights Driving Tour of Hinds County”produced by the Associated Press, Tougaloo College, the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, and the Mississippi Development Authority (Tourism Division).