Lincoln Theatre

The Lincoln was the black community’s theater and was located at the intersection between North Maple and Church St. in the shadow of the Southern Railroad train depot in downtown Laurel. It “offered customers a healthy diversion from the paralyzing fear, death, destruction and debilitating anxiety that marked the period between 1941 and 1950.” The theatre showed some serious dramas with racial themes that dealt with the psychological and sociological problems, often portraying dilemmas for black Americans to raise their level of consciousness on racial themes. The Lincoln closed in 1950.

Sources:

Laurel Remembrances by Cleveland Payne published in 1996.