The Haven is an antebellum structure built by two brothers, Isaac and Thomas Williams. Both were free men of color, black men who were not slaves. When the Williams brothers settled here in 1840 there were about 1,200 free men of color in Mississippi. About 10% of these – the Williams brothers among them – owned slaves. As a way to preserve their families, some of these free men of color owned their wives and children as slaves.
African American Heritage Driving Tour of Lowndes County