Longdale High School

Longdale High School, located near Mt. Zion United Methodist Church, was built in 1948. The people of Mt. Zion and the neighboring Poplar Springs Community borrowed $7,000 from a white Philadelphia businessman and were granted $5,000 from the state. A nearby home for the teachers was also built. The larger Mt. Zion and Poplar Springs landowners signed the note on the borrowed money. This school closed in 1963.

Sources:

Neshoba County: African-American Heritage Driving Tour of Philadelphia Mississippi.http://www.neshobajustice.com/documents/RootsofStruggle.pdf