Places

Campbell College

Today, Jackson State University encompasses the former Campbell College, founded in 1890 in Vicksburg, MS. The college moved to Jackson […]

Canton Multicultural Center and Museum

The Canton Multicultural Center & Museum is a celebration of the diverse cultures and contributions of the citizens of Canton […]

Carver Avenue

Carver Avenue was named after George Washington Carver, a prominent African-American. It is the “main street”of the predominantly African-American community […]

Carver High School

The “Colored School”was opened in 1890. In 1904, Scranton and Pascagoula merged into the city of Pascagoula, and the two-roomed […]

Carver High School

Carver High School was the high school for African Americans. The first year the Tupelo schools were integrated the city […]

Catfish Alley

In the late 19th and early 20th century Catfish Alley was the nexus of black commercial life in Columbus. Though […]

Catholic Cathedral of St. Peter the Apostle and Chancery Office of Catholic Diocese

On the northwest corner of Amite Street and West Street is the Catholic Cathedral of St. Peter the Apostle, with […]

Central United Methodist Church

This church and its historically African American congregation were pioneers in the Jackson Civil Rights Movement, hosting an annual meeting […]

Charles Evers Funeral Home

In the 1950s, this building housed a funeral home operated by Charles Evers, brother of Medgar Evers, who urged blacks […]

Chat and Chew Cafe

Federal voter registrars opened an office here to register black voters. Voter rallies were held outside of the cafe. During […]

Churches of Holmes

Holmes County churches did not play a significant role in the Holmes County Movement at first. On the national level, […]

Citizen’s Council Office

On the southeast corner of Amite Street and Congress Street is the Plaza Building, where the white supremacist Citizens’ Council […]

City Jail and Municipal Court Building

The city jail and municipal court building were the sense of significant legal events related to the Jackson civil rights […]

Civil Rights Groups’ Offices

In 1954, the NAACP’s new Mississippi field secretary, Medgar Wiley Evers, opened his first office in this building, with his […]

Coles and Jones Cleaners

Calloway Cole owned the building located on Beacon Street which was the first black dry cleaners in downtown Philadelphia. Curtis […]

Collins Funeral Home

In 1961, Mrs. Clarie Collins Harvey, owner of Collins Funeral Home, organized Woman Power Unlimited, along with other charter members […]

Concord Baptist Church

The Concord Baptist Church in Forest, MS was reported by the Sovereignty Commission as being a hub of NAACP activity […]

Concord CME Church

African-American church established in Lowndes County following the Civil War in 1867. The congregation met beneath a large tree prior […]

Corinth Contraband Camp

After the Union took control of Corinth in 1962, the town became a haven for thousands of runaway slaves who sought […]

Courthouse

As part of the open city campaign, protest marches were conducted, ending at the town square. During the first march […]