Places

F.W. Woolworth Store

After demands for the desegregation of commercial businesses went unanswered, the NAACP decided to engage in direct action. On May 29, 1963, three Tougaloo students – Anne Moody, Pearlena Lewis, and Memphis Norman – entered the back door of Woolworth’s […]

Fannie Lou Hamer Home Site

From her niece’s home in the community of Cascilla, Mississippi, SNCC worker Charles McLaurin took Mrs. Hamer to Tougaloo College in Jackson, Mississippi in the fall of 1962. At Tougaloo they joined a group of SNCC field workers heading to […]

Fannie Lou Hamer Memorial Park

Byron Street Fannie Lou Hamer is buried here, and thetombstone contains her oft-quoted phrase, “I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired.” Sources: Olson, Lynne. Freedom’s Daughters: The Unsung Heroines of the Civil Rights Movement from 1830 to 1970. […]

Farish Street Baptist Church

Led by Pastor S. Leon Whitney during the 1960s, the Farish Street Baptist congregation supported the movement and welcomed mass meetings. The church hosted weekly voter registration workshops during 1961 and held nightly meetings in support of the boycott of […]

Farish Street Neighborhood

For more than 100 years, this 125-acre spread has served as the unofficial center of black culture in Mississippi’s capital. The neighborhood is home to both residences and businesses, and many of its historic buildings have been in continuous use […]

Federal Housing Grant Controversy

In 1963, the town of Aberdeen was given a grant to build public housing with proper electricity, water and sewage capabilities. This was to be used in Aberdeen’s poorest section of town, which happened to be in a black neighborhood. […]

First Baptist Church of Jackson

Medgar Evers led the first attempt to integrate First Baptist Church in 1963. It was not until 1973 that Rev. R.L.T. Smith and Rev. Emmett Burns became the first African Americans to worship here. Lawrence Manguary became its first African […]

First Baptist M.B. Church

Freedmen in Port Gibson founded this church in 1876. It was moved to the site that it rests on today in 1986. The church served an essential role in the Civil Rights Movement in Port Gibson. Starting in 1965, the […]

Flower Mount Baptist Church

On the third Sunday in June of 1870 sixty-five African Americans met under the brush arbor to organize a church. From 1870-1883, church services were held in an old Union army barracks. According to the country records, the land was […]

Forks of the Road

Forks of the Road is the site of the second largest slave market in the U.S., with New Orleans having the largest. The market functioned from the 1820s to the Civil War. The site was recognized in 2004 following the […]

Former Greyhound Bus Station

On May 28, 1961, nine Freedom Riders, who were taking part in protests throughout the South against segregation in interstate travel, were arrested at the Greyhound Bus Station. Many were taken to the county prison farm in Raymond. Later, several […]

Former Home of Jane Schutt

In December 1963, the Ku Klux Klan burned a cross in the yard of this home, which was then located in a white, middle-class neighborhood. In response, Mrs. Jane Schutt decorated the cross with Christmas tree lights. At a 1963 […]

Former Morning Star Baptist Church

In 1961, a group of Freedom Riders, including a priest, were permitted to stay overnight at Morning Star, spreading their blankets and sleeping bags on the floor. After that night, other groups came and slept at Morning Star. Mass meetings […]

Former New Jerusalem Baptist Church

This is the last church Medgar Evers visited before his assassination. Evers attended a celebration at the church that night after leading a day of picketing on Capitol Street in protest of an injunction against all demonstrations. Sources: “Civil Rights […]

Former Pearl Street A.M.E. Church

The Pearl Street A.M.E. Church was one of twenty local churches where nightly meetings were held to support the boycott of downtown merchants. The pastor, Rev. G.R. Haughton, was a popular speaker at protest meetings. After one such meeting in […]

Former Site of Trailways Busway Station

The first of two busloads of Freedom Riders – nine African American males, two African American females, and one white female – arrived here from Montgomery, Alabama, on May 25, 1961. When they attempted to use the bus station’s white-only […]

Former YWCA

In the 1960s, this building was the Jackson headquarters for the YWCA. Though the national YWCA was a progressive institution, facilities at the headquarters in Jackson were available to whites only. However, Mrs. Barbara Barnes, director of the Y’s main […]

Forrest County Courthouse

The Forrest County Courthouse was a cite of contention for many Civil Rights Movement activists in Hattiesburg. Although the U.S. Constitution guaranteed American citizens the right to vote, in many areas of the South, local registrars of voters implemented procedures […]

Fourth Street Pharmacy

Aaron Henry’s pharmacy located on corner of Ashton and Fourth. The pharmacy burned down in 1993. Sources: Payne, Charles M. I’ve Got the Light of Freedom: the Organizing Tradition and the Mississippi Freedom Struggle. Berkeley: University of California P, 1995. […]

Freedman’s Town of Aberdeen

Aberdeen was established prior to the Civil War in 1837. During slavery, there were several free blacks that lived in the community. Laws were then passed in Mississippi that would discourage free blacks from living in town before the Civil […]

Freedom City

About twelve miles south of Greenville in Swiftwater, Mississippi, is where “Freedom City”was set up. This area consisted of twenty-one ready built houses constructed to house displaced African-Americans who were fired from farm jobs in three area counties. The 400 […]

Freedom House of Laurel

Laurel’s Freedom House was the center for a voter-registration drive in Jones County and was located at the home of Eberta Spinks in 1965.

Freedom House of Madison

The Freedom House was used during the Civil Rights era to house Civil Rights workers who came to Madison County. Located on Lutz Street (now George Washington) in Canton, the house was donated to the freedom riders and other Civil […]

Freedom Schools in Marshall County

Holly Springs Freedom School Project was located at the corner of 100 Rust Avenue and North Memphis Street and was referred to as Freedom House. It was the headquarters for the voter registration movement in north Mississippi and the headquarters […]

Freemantown

The area of Oxford between North 7th Street and 5th Street extending south from Price to Jackson Avenue was originally called Freemantown. Oral tradition says that the area was sold to freed slaves after the Civil War and thus became […]