Places

Marlow Plantation

Note: This site is located on private property outside Ruleville and is included here only to provide historical context. In the early 1960s, Fannie Lou Hamer worked as a timekeeper on the Marlow Plantation. In late August of 1962, SNCC […]

Mary Tucker Home Site

This vacant lot on what was formerly known as Byron Street was the location of Mary Tucker’s home. Area whites knew that Fannie Lou Hamer had moved here after leaving the Marlow plantation. When Hamer learned that her friend’s home […]

McComb

McComb, Mississippi, was one of the main battlegrounds for the struggle for civil rights in the United States. The 1950s set the stage for the Mississippi Movement, and the pivotal years for the state and McComb came in the 1960s. […]

McComb City Hall

The student walkout from Burglund High School ended at the steps of City Hall by the Broadway entrance, where 116 people were arrested.

McCoy Federal Building

Across Farish Street, on the southwest corner stands the McCoy Federal Building. In 1983, this building was named in honor of Dr. A.H. McCoy; it became the first federal building in the nation to be named after an African American. […]

McDonald Home Site

Although it no longer exists, Joe & Rebecca McDonald’s home once was located on this site (formerly 909 Reden Street). The McDonalds were active throughout the Civil Rights Movement regardless of the personal cost. They were the first to open […]

McLelland’s Cafe

Mrs. Mamie McClelland established McClelland’s Cafe, located at 245 Carver Avenue, in the early 40’s. The business operated for a while from a small covered truck trailer and served as a community cafe. The cafe later moved to a building […]

Medgar Evers’ Home

Medgar Evers and his wife, Myrlie, bought this home with a GI mortgage in 1957 on what was then Guynes Street. The home was in a new subdivision developed by and for African Americans, just off Missouri Street, which separated […]

Milam’s House

This site was the home of JW Milam, who with his half-brother, Roy Bryant, murdered 14-yearold Emmett Till on August 28, 1955. The men had been acquitted for the murder 4 months before confessing to journalist William Bradford Huie, during […]

Millsaps College

In the 1950s, students from Millsaps College and Tougaloo College held meetings attended by Medgar Evers to discuss race relations. This institutional cooperation was the result of the efforts of Tougaloo sociologist Ernst Borinski, who in the 1930s immigrated to […]

Missionary Union Baptist Church

Missionary Union Baptist is the oldest African-American Baptist church in northeast Mississippi. Organized in 1833. M.U. was and continues to be a dominant force in the black community. Sources: African American Heritage Driving Tour of Lowndes County

Molpus Lumber Company

Richard H. Molpus started the Molpus Lumber Company in 1905. Richard Henderson Molpus operated the company until it was sold to Louisiana-Pacific in 1984. It provided jobs to large portions of the African-American community in Philadelphia. Sources: Neshoba County: African-American […]

Money Store

Bryant’s Grocery and Meat Market, owned by 21-year-old Carolyn and 24-year-old Roy Bryant, was housed here and primarily served sharecroppers in the area. On August 24, 1955, 14-year-old Emmett Till came to the store with friends to buy refreshments. While […]

Moore’s Cafe

In the summer of 1969, Mr. Lawrence Payne built Moore’s Cafe. It was originally built as a florist shop and later became Moore’s Cafe. The cafe operated by Mr. Ervin Moore, was located on Atkins Street. Sources: Neshoba County: African-American […]

Mound Bayou

Mound Bayou, Mississippi, was founded in 1887 by ex-slaves Isaiah Montgomery and Benjamin Green. Mound Bayou was one of the first all black settlements in the United States. Mound Bayou is important because it provided a place for blacks to […]

Movie Theatre

On June 23, a group of students was arrested after they attempted to buy tickets for the white section of the movie theater. These arrests led to the “open city campaign”during which civil rights workers and citizens tried to integrate […]

Mt. Nebo Missionary Baptist Church

Mt. Nebo Missionary Baptist Church is located at 257 Carver Avenue. When the civil rights workers first come to Philadelphia, Mt. Nebo was the only church that would allow CORE (Congress of Racial Equality) to hold mass meetings to register […]

Mt. Zion United Methodist Church

Mt. Zion United Methodist Church is located off Highway 16 East on County Road 747. On June 16, 1964, a routine meeting of church officers was held. As the officers were leaving the church, Klansmen met them outside and ordered […]

Myrtle Hall School

Myrtle Hall School was a black school during the segregation era that taught first through eighth grade. Still standing today. Sources: Payne, Charles M. I’ve Got the Light of Freedom: the Organizing Tradition and the Mississippi Freedom Struggle. Berkeley: University […]