Places

Sandfield Cemetary

In 1865, the year the Civil War ended, the population of Columbus was 6,000. By 1870 with the emancipation of slaves, that number had ballooned to 9,000. Most of those freed slaves settled in Sandfield, an area sandwiched between the […]

Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church

Shiloh was organized by Christian slaves. Land for the church was chartered in 1821. Sources: African American Heritage Driving Tour of Lowndes County

Smith Park

Across from the Plaza Building where the Citizen’s Council Offices were located is Smith Park, which was segregated through most of the 1960s. Sources: “Civil Rights Driving Tour of Hinds County”produced by the Associated Press, Tougaloo College, the Mississippi Department […]

Smith Robertson Museum

Named for successful barber Smith Robertson, Jackson’s first African American alderman, this 1894 structure was renovated in the late 1920s and was Jackson’s first public school for African Americans. The school was closed in 1971 during public school desegregation. It […]

Society Hill Missionary Baptist Church

Society Hill has a history of activism, with Rev. Ed Taylor as pastor and C.C. Bryant as deacon. The church helped Bob Moses with voter registration efforts and was targeted for its link to the McComb Movement. The current church […]

Southern Christian Institute

Located in Edwards, MS, Southern Christian Institute was a private boarding school for black students during the Jim Crow era, when public schools for black students only went through the 8th or 11th grades. It was founded after Reconstruction, in […]

St. Andrew’s Episcopal Cathedral

St. Andrew’s maintained an interracial “open door”policy during the 1960s under the leadership of Bishop Duncan M. Gray, Sr., Reverend Edward Harrison, and Reverend Christoph Keller, African Americans were allowed to worship there freely. The State Sovereignty Commission kept up […]

St. Augustine Seminary

Founded in 1920 and located in Bay St. Louis, St. Augustine Seminary began as a school for black men studying for the priesthood. However, by 1959, there were white students and white faculty members at the school as well. This […]

St. Mark’s Episcopal Church

At the corner of Pearl Street and Poindexter Street is St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, an African American church associated with St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church. St. Mark’s members participated in interracial fellowship during the 1960s. Sources: “Civil Rights Driving Tour of […]

St. Paul United Methodist

St. Paul United Methodist Church was the first church in McComb to open its doors to the McComb Movement. Beginning in 1961, St. Paul was a principal meeting place for voter registration training and Movement meetings. During the summer of […]

Stallo Community

The Stallo Community is located in the northern part of Neshoba County. In the 1960s, concerned citizens in their community decided to organize their own civil rights organization and met on a monthly basis, or as often as needed. Many […]

State Capitol Building

In the New Capitol building, completed in 1903, the Mississippi legislature institutionalized “Jim Crow”practices. For example, the legislature passed two bills in 1962 that kept the Jackson city bus line segregated. In the late ’50s and ’60s, the Mississippi State […]

State Fairgrounds

For decades leading up to the 1960s, the state of Mississippi had staged two annual state fairs – one for whites only, followed by a “colored”fair. In 1961, the NAACP, its youth councils, and others demonstrated at the “colored”fair, carrying […]

Statue of Medgar Evers

Mrs. Mirtes Gregory, Andrew Lee, E.J. Ivory, and others led the Medgar Evers Statue Fund committee to raise $60,000 to commission a life sized statue of Medgar Evers. A white artist, Mr. T. J. Warren from Rolling Fork, MS, created […]

Steven’s Kitchen

From the late 1950s through the 1960s, the upscale restaurant at this location was the meeting place for local professionals and for many of those who came from out of town to help with the civil rights movement. Among the […]

Stonewall Public Swimming Pool

Stonewall, Miss., had a local community pool during the 1960s, but during the time of desegregation, the pool was shut down when it faced the possibility of integration. In 2006, Gil Carmichael, a businessman from Mississippi decided to excavate the […]

Strand Theatre

The Strand Theater was located in Uptown Tupelo and showcased the latest movies. The entertainment available at The Strand was, however, exclusively for whites. Sources: Interview with Frances J. Williams.

Strike City

A group of forty-nine African-American men, women, and children decided to go on strike after they demanded a raise of $1.25 an hour or $9 dollars a day. They were only being paid $3 per day for using a hoe, […]

Sugar Ditch

In 1985 Jessie Jackson came to Tunica County, Mississippi. He proclaimed Tunica, Mississippi, to be “America’s Ethiopia”because of its rank as one of the poorest Counties in the United States. Jackson went to an area known as Sugar Ditch in […]

Summers Hotel

Located within the 600 block of West Pearl Street is the Summers Hotel, one of two African American hotels where civil rights leaders and other visiting African Americans stayed. The other hotel was the Edward Lee Hotel located on Church […]

Summit Street District

The Summit Street District was a vibrant area of African-American businesses. It included the Lyric Theatre, whose building housed Holmes Ice Cream Parlor on the north side and Holmes Drug Store on the south side. North of the theatre was […]

Sumner Courthouse

On September 23, 1955, two white men, Roy Bryant and JW Milam, were acquitted at the Sumner Courthouse of murdering 14-year-old Emmett Till. Till’s mother Mamie Till and uncle Moses Wright courageously testified in the 5-day trial, which drew international […]