Places

TKE Drug Store

TKE was a drug store located in Downtown Tupelo. African Americans were forced to use a separate door before integration. Mrs. Dukes explained that if a white woman or man walked in the drugstore after she did, she would be […]

The Busy Bee Cafe

The Busy Bee Cafe and Barber Shop, located at 414 Church Avenue and owned by Mr. & Mrs. Millard Kirkland, were the first black-owned businesses in Philadelphia. Mr. Kirkland operated the barbershop while Mrs. Kirkland served soul food to black […]

The Freedom House Complex

The SNCC Workers Freedom House Complex was a trio of houses on Wall and Denwiddie Streets owned by Mrs. Willie Mae Cotton and Mr. Antoine AcNulty. Mrs. Cotton had opened her home to SNCC workers early in the Movement. In […]

The Hanging Bridge

Gayle Graham Gates authored a book entitled, Life and Death in a Small Town: Memories of Shubuta, Mississippi. Within the book she writes: “Like much of the rest of the South, piney woods Shubuta bears its own burden of racial […]

The Haven

The Haven is an antebellum structure built by two brothers, Isaac and Thomas Williams. Both were free men of color, black men who were not slaves. When the Williams brothers settled here in 1840 there were about 1,200 free men […]

Tougaloo College

Tougaloo College was founded in 1869 by the American Missionary Association on land formerly occupied by an antebellum cotton plantation worked by slaves. One structure that remains from that time is the building housing the president’s office known as “The […]

Toxish Baptist Church

Toxish Baptist Church is located on the Natchez Trace about ten miles southeast of Pontotoc and was organized in 1837. The original spelling of Tockshish later became Tocshish, and today the church is known as Toxish. The interior of the […]

Triangle Housing Project

“Built in 1940 as part of Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal Recovery Program, [the project] was bounded on the east by South Fourth Avenue, on the west by Maple Street and on the south by Jefferson Street.” It was within walking […]

Tutwiler Funeral Home

On August 31, 1955, Woodrow Jackson prepared Emmett Till’s body here at the Tutwiler Funeral Home to return to Emmett’s mother, Mamie Till-Mobley, in Chicago. Emmett’s uncle, Crosby Smith, had to sign a document promising not to open the casket. […]