Toxish Baptist Church

Toxish Baptist Church is located on the Natchez Trace about ten miles southeast of Pontotoc and was organized in 1837. The original spelling of Tockshish later became Tocshish, and today the church is known as Toxish. The interior of the church in the early days was set up so men were on one side, women on the other, and blacks had to sit in the back of the church. The exterior has separate entrances for the men and women.

Sources:

Pontotoc County, Mississippi Genealogy and History. November 2, 2006. www.rootsweb.com/~mspontot/churches/churchlist

Pontotoc Progress, May 27, 1954

Pontotoc Progress, December 30, 1976

Tupelo Journal, August 28, 1969

Tupelo Journal, September 17, 1969