Freedmen in Port Gibson founded this church in 1876. It was moved to the site that it rests on today in 1986. The church served an essential role in the Civil Rights Movement in Port Gibson. Starting in 1965, the NAACP held meetings at the church to encourage boycotts of local white merchants. The suffering white merchants filed suit over the successful boycotts, but in 1982 the U.S. Supreme Court defended the legality of the boycotts.
“Historic Churches of Port Gibson”http://www.nostalgiaville.com/travel/Mississippi/natchez%20trace/port%20gibson/port%20gibson.htm